Visalia firefighters responded to a gas leak Wednesday morning after a car backed over a gas meter. The incident occurred about 9:30 a.m. in the area of Edison Street between Main Street and Acequia Avenue. Battalion Chief Darrin Hughes said that a vehicle being backed out of a muffler shop hit a main line to a natural gas meter. Businesses in the area were evacuated because of the threat that a spark from one of the nearby auto shops could ignite the gas and cause an explosion.
January 31, 2013 · 6:24 am